Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Made it to the Palisade Petroglyphs


Much better success today when my neighbor George led me and a small group of local hikers to the Petroglyphs near Palisade Creek just beyond the Royal Gorge property.  The wildflowers were blooming all along the way, but especially in the boggy places.  Scared some grouse up out of the grass into a high tree branch as we passed.

These petroglyphs are like none I have ever seen before. They have been drawn I am told about 1,300 years ago and are fading fast, as they are on almost horizontal exfoliating granite exposed to the brunt of winter freeze/thaw cycle.  If you want to go, contact me for GPS coordinates and hiking directions.

From Summer 2012


From Summer 2012

From Summer 2012

From Summer 2012

Monk's Hood
From Summer 2012

From Summer 2012

No comments: